SGS Inclusive Excellence Admissions Scholarships for Black and Indigenous Master’s Students
|OGS application submission deadline:||June 30, 2023 (11:59 EDT)|
|GLSE form submission deadline:||June 30, 2023 (11:59 EDT)|
|Number of allocations:||Pending|
|Required Legal Status:||Domestic and International|
||Successful candidates will be informed in August 2023 and given 10 business days to accept the offer. The first instalment will be made in September 2023.|
We are pleased to announce a new scholarship opportunity for incoming first year Masters students at the University of Toronto. The School of Graduate Studies has established the Inclusive Excellence Admissions Scholarships for Black and Indigenous Master’s Students which aims to diversify academia by supporting the recruitment of first-year master’s students who are thinking of pursuing PhD studies in the future. This scholarship was established in response to recommendations emerging from the Weecheehetowin Final Report of the Steering Committee for the University of Toronto Response to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada, The Anti-Black Racism Task Force Final Report, and the Scarborough Charter.
How to Apply
Interested students should apply directly to the Office of the Vice Dean, Research and Health Sciences Education (OVDHSE) by completing the following steps by June 30, 2023 at 11:59pm:
Step 1: visit the Scholarship Form to fill out an application by June 30, 2023 at 11:59pm
Step 2: complete an Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) application by June 30, 2023 at 11:59pm; please note applicants must elaborate on why s/he may be interested in pursuing doctoral studies (PhD) after obtaining their master’s degree. If you have not done so already, please click here to start an OGS application.
Please Note the Following:
OVDRHSE has access to all OGS applications submitted by our TFOM graduate students.
Please ignore the June 1, 2023 application deadline on the SGS OGS application website provided above
Students must self-identify as Black or Indigenous to Turtle Island using the application form
Students do not need to secure a thesis supervisor at time of application to this scholarship
For inquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Value and Duration
This scholarship will be available as a pilot for the next three years (i.e., 2022/23, 2023/24, 2024/25). Each scholarship is valued at $15,000 (payable for one year, $5,000 per registered session) to support graduate funding packages and award opportunities for Black and Indigenous applicants who are highly admissible, but would otherwise remain unadmitted due to lack of funding availability (Departmental, Faculty or PI) in a funded program, or would not accept an offer of admission due to lack of resources to pay for an unfunded program. Both domestic and international students are eligible to apply.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, all the of the following criteria must be met
1) Applied to a master’s program in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine, this includes any thesis-based, course-based and professional master’s programs (i.e., MSc, MHSc, MScOT, MScPT, MScBMC)
2) Masters application, at time of applying to this scholarship, falls under one of the following categories
- Departmental decision is pending
- Offered admission to master’s program in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
- Accepted admission into a master’s program in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
3) Self-identify as a Black and/or Indigenous to Turtle Island applicant;
4) Demonstrate a distinguished record of professional/volunteer/community experience or leadership;
5) Submit a UofT online OGS Application to the nominating unit (nominees need not be OGS eligible);
6) Have not been awarded other major internal or external funding in excess of $10,000 (excluding governmental loans/grants, e.g., OSAP, or band funding) at the time of offer;
7) intent to start a master’s program in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine for Fall 2023
Adjudication and Communication to Successful Candidates
- Applications will be assessed in July 2023 by an adjudication committee that represents the diversity of TFOM.
- Successful candidates will be informed in August 2023 and given 10 business days to accept the offer.
How will successful candidates be paid?
- OVDRHSE will be responsible for paying successful candidates through ROSI/ACORN.
- Ideally, the first instalment will be made in September 2023.