Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship
2021-22 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
(New) Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships: Info Session
|Tuesday, June 15, 2021 12:00pm (EDT)|
|Applicant deadline to Temerty Faculty of Medicine, GLSE||Friday, July 23, 2021 5:00pm (EDT)|
|Letter of endorsement made available:||Friday, September 10, 2021|
|Nominee ResearchNet submission
|September 22, 2021 (20:00 EDT)|
|Required Legal Status:||Domestic and International|
Anticipated notification of results in mid-February 2022 directly from Banting: Applicants will be notified by email when the results are available on ResearchNet.
Since 2010, the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program has attracted top-tier postdoctoral talent nationally and internationally. The aim of the program is to develop leadership potential and to position postdoctoral fellows for success as research leaders and contributors to Canada’s economic, social and research-based growth.
Every year the program awards 70 new fellowships across Canada’s federal granting agencies (CIHR, NSERC, and SSHRC).
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is unique in its emphasis on the synergy between the applicant’s and the University’s research goals and projects. Successful applicants’ research programs are aligned with the University’s strategic priorities.
For inquiries regarding registration with the Postdoctoral Office at SGS, please contact: Sarah Pickering, Postdoctoral Administrative Officer Postdoctoral Office, SGS at email@example.com.
$70,000 per year for two years.
All documents (including the ResearchNet application, Canadian Common CV, and all 3 referee assessments) must be emailed to Yasman Mohammadzadeh, Graduate & Life Sciences Education (GLSE) by Friday, July 23, 2021 (5:00pm). Late nominations will not be considered. Nominations will be reviewed and ranked by the Temerty Medicine Postdoctoral Selection Committee.
Please note: Each affiliated hospital will hold its own competition as well. It is separate from Temerty Faculty of Medicine (via GLSE) and may have a different deadline and application process. Applicants will need to decide where to apply because it will determine where the fellowship will be held and paid from (if successful):
- Applicants who plan to have the Fellowship administered through the University of Toronto must apply through the Temerty Faculty of Medicine, GLSE by July 23, 2021 (5:00 pm). Applicants will have a supervisor with a primary appointment and graduate appointment in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine.
- If fellowship is to be administered and paid by the hospital research training centre (i.e., where the supervisor’s lab is located), contact the research office at the hospital directly.
- Applicants should refer to the SGS Announcment and Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships application guide and Selection Committee guide, including the evaluation criteria for the Fellowship.
- Supervisors should note that this postdoctoral fellowship is for candidates of the highest quality and supervisors are limited to one nomination. The application requires a great deal of input from the supervisor and applicant; therefore, SGS provided the SGS Tip Sheet with more details and tips.
- View the University of Toronto’s Institutional Strategic Research Plan 2018-2023 and the Temerty Faculty of Medicine’s Academic Strategic Plan 2018-2023 as well as your own department’s Strategic Plan.
- A copy of each referee assessment must to be forwarded to GLSE (i.e., referee to directly email to firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The institutional Letter of Endorsement will be provided by the School of Graduate Studies by September 10, 2021, prior to nominee online submission deadline.
- Applicants who require the Fulfillment of Degree Requirements Form from U of T must request it by email from the Postdoctoral Fellows Office before September 4, 2021.
When Will The Funds Be Released?
If awarded, Banting fellows can choose a start date beginning the 1st of the month between April 1st and October 1st 2022. Any date beyond that would be considered a deferral, and would require additional approvals.